It has been an absolutely amazing week to finish another successful block, with our International Days starting with our colourful Opening Ceremony on Tuesday, and culminating in our fantastic International Fair today.
Upcoming Block Theme
The theme for the final block of the academic year is Physical Education. I know that the PE team have a number of fantastic activities and challenges planned already, promoting the importance of a healthy lifestyle, teamwork and everything sports.
We kickstarted our International Days with a wonderfully colourful flag parade to celebrate over 40 different nationalities represented here at BISL. It is a lovely feeling to be able to celebrate these events together once again.
Please do take a moment to read this roundup article about the Opening Ceremony - it includes a gallery of many photos and a link to the recording of the live event that was streamed via Zoom.
Thank you to those parent volunteers who gave up their time to come into school to do a cultural activity with their child's class during the week - we had everything from Belgian comics to stories in Slovene and it was a fantastic experience for our students.
I have to say, I have been very much looking forward to our International Fair, as it was our first big event of the year, and one that we were finally able to celebrate together, with only a few restrictions. Despite the weather, the assembly hall was transformed into a room filled with vibrant culture, with 14 country stalls from Nicaragua all the way to Japan! The stalls had some great activities set up for the students to enjoy, and the food, as always, was delicious.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the PTA and our parents who have put so much effort into organising this amazing event for our community, thank you. It is a privilege to have such a supportive group of parents here at BISL.
Keep an eye out for photos and videos from our International Fair on Facebook and on the website over the block break, I'm sure there will be many!
Friday 14th May saw the last of the final examinations being written by our Year 11, 12 and 13 examination cohort. It has been a long and well-planned process that started in January 2021 with Mock Examinations. Since then our students have completed Further Assessments in February and Final Assessments in May. These assessments have rigorously tested our students on the entire content of their IGCSE, AS or A2 level course.
Now with the three pieces of evidence of substantial assessments, marked and graded by our teachers, moderated by teachers within our school and also by teachers in other Orbital schools around the world to ensure integrity and validity of the results, we are in a position to submit the all important school-assessed grades to the examination boards CAIE and AQA on behalf of our students.
We are now looking forward to some excellent results once again. I would like to express my gratitude to the teachers who created and marked the assessments, the invigilators who ensured that there was a calm and peaceful environment in the examination rooms while the students were completing their assessments under strict invigilated conditions and the students who cooperated with the invigilators, followed the key instructions given to them to ensure that all standards and regulations were upheld throughout the entire process. Each year Cambridge have their own internal checking process and we adhere to their strict regulations. Our processes from June 2020 examination series have been referred to as 'best practice' and have been shared across the Orbital group.
The students' final results will be released on the 10th August at 6:00am CET. We very much look forward to them. Well done to all our students.
All of our upcoming events are listed on the school website here.
Following on from the success of our Enrichment Saturdays at the beginning of the academic year, we are offering a further 2 Days of FreeSaturday Schooloccurring on consecutive Saturdays, 12thand 19thJune, for BISL students, which will include a range of supervised activities from a published calendar so that our students can have further opportunities to enjoy learning together. To register for these Enrichment Days, please complete the registration form here.
This year’s BISL Summer School will run for two weeks between 5th-16th July.
To make up for some of the lost face-to-face interactions with friends due to the period of remote learning, we are happy to be able to offer 5 Days of Free Summer School for BISL students in the first week of the summer, starting Monday 5th July.
Our popular summer school operates from Monday to Friday, 8.00am through to 3.00pm and incorporates a range of fun activities and learning English through immersion with our BISL staff.
To register for one or both weeks of Summer School, please complete the form by clicking on the button below. Week 1 will be free for all BISL students who wish to attend.
Our school calendar for the 2021-22 academic year is available here.
All urgent updates continue to be sent via email.
Please monitor your emails for future updates as this continues to be the best way to send out clear and consistent communication to all parents. Check that you are receiving emails, have enough space in your email folder, that they do not go to your 'junk' folder and if you are unsure, please contact email@example.com to check your contact email and phone number on record. If you change any contact details, please inform the school immediately.
I hope you have a restful and relaxing block break, and look forward to seeing you on Monday 24th May for our first day back for Block 7.
Dates to Note
|Mon-Fri, May 17-21||Block Break|
|Tue, May 25||PTA Second Hand Uniform Sale|
|Thu, May 27||Playtime in Early Years|
|Fri, June 4||Coffee with the Principal - on site|
|Fri, June 4||Student Appreciation Day|
|Sat, June 12||Enrichment Day 1|
|Thu, June 17||Year 6 Transition Day|
|Fri, June 18||Parent Appreciation Day|
|Sat, June 19||Enrichment Day 2|
|Mon - Fri, July 5 - 16||BISL Summer School|
- May 7 - MEPI Drive Success and Visit from Trieste
- April 30 - MEPI Clothing drive update, Summer term events
- April 23 - New PA system, plans for 21-22
- April 16 - After-School Provision
- April 9 - Outstanding School News
- March 26 - Block 5 Roundup and Car Park Safety
- March 19 - Spring at BISL, Shakespeare Week and Alumni Visit
- March 12 - Updates from the Coffee Morning
- March 5 - Year 10 - 12 Staggered Start Plans
- February 26 - New Teaching & Learning Resources
- February 19 - Pust Celebrations
- February 12 - Staggered Reopening Plans
- February 10 - Block 4 Update
- February 5 - Exam Revision Update
- January 29 - Drop Off Reminders, Testing for Teachers
- January 22 - Staggered Reopening Plans
- January 15 - BISL Strengths, Upcoming events, Parent Survey
- January 8 - New Year's Updates from the Coffee Morning
- January 2 - Operating Procedures ahead of Term 2
- December 18 – Holiday Message
- December 11 - Early Years Show, BISL Art Exhibition & Upcoming Events
- December 4 - Coffee Morning update
- December 3 - First Snow and Outdoor Fun
- November 27 - Upcoming Events
- November 20 - PTA Committee Welcome, Facilities News
- November 6 - Founder's Day, Operating procedures
- October 30 - Halloween celebrations, positive feedback
- October 23 - Measures in place
- October 16 – Transition to online learning
- October 10 - Coffee Morning
- September 25 - House Day, MEPI, Adventure Days
- September 20 - Safety Guidance and reminders
- September 11 – Safety Guidance, BISL Vision & Learning Walks
- September 4 - Safety Guidance & BISL Values
- August 28 - Safety Guidance and Drop off & Pick up Procedures
- August 19 - Staff Training Week
- August 13 - Summer Update