E-Safety at BISL
Welcome to our eSafety Homepage at the British International School of Ljubljana.
The purpose of this page is to share with you what we commit to as a school to help students become more aware of eSafety and how to make better use of the internet.
The focus to help our students requires the school to work in conjunction with our parents and students to make sure that we can all be consistent in how we prepare our students to make good choices with technology and the internet.
We believe that the internet and technology should be used primarily for 'learning'. Used in the correct way, it can add real value to the learning experiences our students enjoy in the classroom.
We commit to:
- Creating a safe environment for students to learn online in school.
- Raising awareness of social media issues, how to deal with these and how to make good choices when using technology in and beyond the classroom.
- Using technology wisely and effectively to transform and enhance learning, not as a direct tool to substitute during tasks.
We hope you find the resources below helpful. If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact email@example.com.
Additionally, if you have any articles, resources or ideas to share with us, please let us know. Thank you to all parents, teachers and students for your support in putting this eSafety page and our school awareness plan together. This is not a quick fix, its a long term commitment to helping, supporting and listening to our students with their use of the internet and technology.
These displays show how we've raised awareness around the school in 3 different areas.
Our E-Safety boards have information on age restrictions on social media, how to set up a safe online profile, online resources, Child Net and British Council resources, advice for students using technology and advice on how to report incidents.
We share useful videos and resources with our students during assemblies and eSafety is covered in PSHE lessons.
This is our Emails and Passwords Guidance which we share with our students.
Articles for Parents
Thank you to all parents from our community who have shared articles that they have found online to raise awareness of the dangers of social media, the internet and advice on how to address these:
- Having a Conversation with your Child
- How to Teach Internet Safety to Younger Students
- Parents, Kids & Social Media: Find Your Digital Spine
- How Do I Protect My Kid's Privacy Online
- The Importance of Internet Safety
- Electronics in the Bedroom
- 10 Reasons Teenagers Love Snapchat & What Parents Need to Know
- 38% of Children Under 2 Use Mobile Media
- How Do I Keep My Children Safe Online? What the Security Experts Tell Their Kids
- Blue Light Has a Dark Side
- A Dark Consensus About Screens and Kids Begins to Emerge in Silicon Valley
- Posting About Your Kids Online
- How to Protect Against Phishing Scams
Resources for Parents
Here are some useful resources for parents:
Duck Duck Go can be used for safe internet searches.
LogOut is a company that specialises in helping children and adults that use the Internet extensively or are already addicted.
Useful eSafety tips for Parents with Primary school children.
Videos to watch as a family:
- Internet Safety Tips for Kids
- 5 Steps to a Healthy Media Diet
- 7 Everyday Media Resolutions for you and your Kids
- 3 Easy Ways Parents can Tame their Device Use
Useful eSafety websites:
- National Online Safety
- Think You Know
- Childnet International
- Kid Smart
- Safer Internet
- Common Sense Media
- Its Time We Talked
Useful Apps to try:
Useful Infographics for Parents:
- 7 Questions to help you start a conversation with your child about online safety
- What parents need to know about screen addiction
- What parents need to know about age ratings
- What parents need to know about the AppStore
- What parents need to know about MOMO
- What parents need to know about Catfishing
- What parents need to know about Snapchat
- What parents need to know about Instagram
- What parents need to know about YouTube
- What parents need to know about WhatsApp
- What parents need to know about Fortnite: Battle Royale
- What parents need to know about Minecraft
- What parents need to know about Grand Theft Auto
Using devices at BISL
This is our Primary ICT Contract for using devices at BISL responsibly.
Use of iPads
Here is the guidance given to our community about the Use of iPads at BISL, including the Questions & Answers discussed during this information session.
We also share Class Rules for using iPads with the students.
International Celebration Days
Tuesday, 5th February 2019
"Together for a Better Internet"
11th - 15th November 2019
School Information Sessions
We will run the following information sessions for parents:
- Bring Your Own Device & E-Safety at BISL
- Use of iPads in the Classroom
- Using Canvas
- Social Media
- Technology for Learning
Presentations will be linked to each one once the session has been delivered.
Instructions for using Zoom
Our teacher are using Zoom video conferencing platform as part of distance learning. Please click here for our Instructions for Zoom.