Thank you for your support throughout this block, it has been very busy, lots of challenges and I would like to personally thank you for your ongoing support and encouragement for the staff at school. It has been wonderful to be able to celebrate the snowy weather this week - our students in school have thoroughly enjoyed exploring the changing environment, and I'm sure students learning at home have done the same.
Thank you for joining me at our virtual Coffee Morning today, for those of you that were unable to make it, here is an overview of the points I shared:
- Thank you to the PTA for the way in which they have embraced their new roles on the Committee and organised a variety of initiatives already in such a short space of time, including the Second Hand Uniform Sale, the wonderful C4C Trije Zimski Botri Project, and giving up their time to put up festive decorations all around the school for our students and staff to enjoy. These efforts are very much appreciated by our entire community.
- Student articles on the Website - We are proud of the work our students do in class and share these regularly, either through Facebook posts or as articles on the school website. Recent examples include: the Importance of Recycling, Descriptive Writing and an article about Student Leadership at BISL with messages from our student leaders across the school. If your time allows, do have a read of them, they are fantastic.
- IGCSE and A Level Events - Mr Batson has completed the IGCSE and A Level information evenings, the next 2 sessions are scheduled for January (21st and 28th) and are open to all parents to join, to find out more about the pathways through the school and further information about our Year 10-13 curriculum, subject choices, university applications and other announcements about Secondary school.
- IGCSE and A Level Mock Exams - These are planned for first 2 weeks of January 2021.
- IGCSE and A level Examination Outcomes - We are very proud of our academic outcomes here at BISL. 66% of IGCSE grades were A/A*, 63% of A Level grades were A/A* (The highest ever in the school's history).
- University Destinations - 100% students offered university destinations to the top university of their choice.
- PTE and PTM - These examinations are taken from Year 2 through to Year 9, and the results of these English and Maths progress tests have increased throughout each of the last 3 years - another fantastic achievement from our students.
- Online Learning - For now, this continues for all students in Year 2 and above. We've received lots of positive comments from parents and reflections from students. If you haven't already, do take a moment to read these, they are indeed uplifting.
- Return to the building - We await changes in the guidance, expected today from the government. The staff and Leadership team continue working each day to make sure we plan ahead and are ready for a safe return. Meetings have been planned for the end of today, Saturday and Sunday to discuss any late announcements, which will be shared with you via email when available. Currently no change in the guidance as yet.
- First Snow and Outdoor Fun - Our Early Years and Year 1 students on site have made the most of the beautiful weather playing in snow, building snowmen and having fun together. Read more about this here.
- Communication - Please continue to check your email in the first instance for any updates.
- All Upcoming School Events - Details of these are available on our website under Events. Whilst some have been scheduled as virtual events, should guidance allow, we look forward to having you back on site to enjoy these events with us in person.
- Internationalism - With over 40 nationalities, bringing experiences of culture, background and countries to enrich the international experiences of our students and families here at BISL, internationalism will be a topic presented and discussed in one of the first coffee mornings back in the building. ‘All different and all the same’ is something we talk about often as a school, it is shared in our experiences, school values, etc. and we aim to keep talking about this and look forward to organising an extended International ‘Week’ rather than a day to celebrate, enjoy and educate one another about the beauty of internationalism.
- Winter Season/School Closure - As we move into the winter weather, due to any potential school closure (snow day, cut off water supply, electricity fault etc), all parents would be notified via email and SMS text message immediately. The same message would then be shared on the school website, Facebook and Classlist. As such, we ask you to please ensure the school has your current up to date contact details - both email and mobile telephone.
Reports and Parent Teacher Meetings
Reports will be distributed by post in the coming days.
Next week, Parent Teacher Interviews begin. All parents are encouraged to book times to see all teachers virtually. For guidance on how to use the Parents Evening Programme, please refer to this helpful guide. Bookings close on Sunday at 16:00.
All urgent updates continue to be sent via email.
Please monitor your emails for future updates as this continues to be the best way to send out clear and consistent communication to all parents. Check that you are receiving emails, have enough space in your email folder, that they do not go to your 'junk' folder and if you are unsure, please contact email@example.com to check your contact email and phone number on record. If you change any contact details, please inform the school immediately.
Wishing you a safe and restful weekend.
- December 3 - First Snow and Outdoor Fun
- November 27 - Upcoming Events
- November 20 - PTA Committee Welcome, Facilities News
- November 6 - Founder's Day, Operating procedures
- October 30 - Halloween celebrations, positive feedback
- October 23 - Measures in place
- October 16 – Transition to online learning
- October 10 - Coffee Morning
- September 25 - House Day, MEPI, Adventure Days
- September 20 - Safety Guidance and reminders
- September 11 – Safety Guidance, BISL Vision & Learning Walks
- September 4 - Safety Guidance & BISL Values
- August 28 - Safety Guidance and Drop off & Pick up Procedures
- August 19 - Staff Training Week
- August 13 - Summer Update