A word from Mrs Železinger
The last two days of this week seem very quiet, as various classes venture out on their trips. Following Early Years last Friday, Y1 students have whizzed off this morning to the Farm in Škofljica, where they will be able to learn about and meet various animals rescued by the farmers. These are just one of the numerous educational trips that primary students will enjoy this year and have many benefits for both students and teachers, including helping students to learn through authentic experiences, exploring new things and settings.
This afternoon Y5 and Y6 students will be returning from their Residential trip to Grad Prestranek and Križna jama (cave). Apart from educational benefits, these trips serve to foster the school values, social interaction, communication and teamwork.
The PSHE theme this week focused on the coming celebrations. Primary students look forward to the Movie Night on Tuesday 29th and the Halloween Party on Wednesday 30th October. All parents are welcome and we hope to see you there. More information on pick-up and parking to follow. A minute’s silence will be held to remember our loved ones who have passed away, as part of Remembrance Day (also known as Day of the Dead or All Saint’s Day) on the 1st of November.
‘There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.’ by ~ Gandhi
I wish everyone a restful time with their families and friends for the coming weekend and public holidays on 31st October and 1st November.
Mrs Železinger, Head of Primary
News from Early Years
Last week Early Years visited Škofjica Farm, a farm that cares for rescued and abandoned animals. The children absolutely loved meeting, petting and learning about the animals. They met horses, donkeys, pigs, chickens, goats, dogs and a friendly bull. They baked (and ate!) bread around the firepit. They spent time walking through the beautiful forest, collecting sticks and flowers. One of the highlights was jumping in the hay. Oh, what fun!
News from Year 1
Making the most of the good weather and continuing with our focus on phonics, year 1 have been reading outdoors, we even had some special visitors from Year 9 to help. Not to forget Alecsej and his superstar guitar skills.
News from Year 3
We have been discussing all things ‘Robots’! Looking at The Tale of Two Robots story and thinking of exciting ideas for our own story about the room cleaning robots Robert and Nita in English and designing our own robots in Topic! From animal robots to robots that do our homework and cook our dinner, we have been experimenting with different materials and designs and thinking about how the invention of robots could help us in the future!
News from Years 5 & 6
Yesterday was an action-packed day full of spooky, quiet caves, farm and castle history tours and pizza making in the light of setting Autumn sun. The fun is not over yet, I wonder what year 5 and 6 will be able to tell you about riding Icelandic horses! Stand by for more exciting news soon!
Ljubljana Marathon Information:
- Meeting point(next to the monument of Franc Rozman). You will be able to find us next to the BISL flag.
- Meeting time 30min before the start of your race.
- Starting numbers will be given out by the BISL Staff at the meeting point.
- Please wear any British school t-shirt at the start.
- CONTACT PERSON: Mr Damjan
- Official website
This year the school is in search of a HOUSE CAPTAIN from the Year 6 cohort. All students will be given directions on how to apply if they wish to run for this position. Becoming a HOUSE CAPTAIN is not only an honour but will also give students the chance to represent their ideas and improve their organisational and leadership skills.
The results will be published before the 8th of November 2019.
As you may have heard, this year we will celebrate Halloween in school.
When: Wednesday 30 October 14.10 - 16.00.
Where: Assembly and some classrooms, maybe some activities outside, depending on the weather
1. Costumes Parade (14.15-14.25) - Assembly or outside (weather permitting) - Note: children will come dressed in their costumes in the morning
2. Thriller Dance (14.25-14.30) - Ms Petra is coordinating
3. Scary food & Games - Assembly&1-2 classrooms (14.30-15.30)
4. Halloween Treasure Hunt - for Primary, organised by class with the support of Class Parents (15.30-16.00)
5. Secondary activities - will be added by Friday but can include movies, music etc
- Bringing scary-looking/Halloween themed food (we will circulate a Sign up Genius to make volunteering easy)
- Classroom decorations - it will be coordinated by Class Parents
- Decorating the school common areas (Assembly, Cloak Room, Corridors, Reception) - Tuesday 29 October after school - if you want to participate, please join the PTA Helpers group
- Setting up the Assembly on the event day (starting around 13:00)
- Help with cleaning after the event
- Helping out at various stations during the event
There will be a message regarding pick up procedures closer to the event.
We look forward to seeing you there!
the Halloween Committee